The top five most common cancers in Hong Kong are colorectal cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and liver cancer, with the highest mortality rate being lung cancer. According to the Hong Kong Cancer Registry 2018 report, the number of deaths due to lung cancer in Hong Kong was as high as 3,853, accounting for 26.4% of the overall mortality rate in Hong Kong.
Most patients with early-stage lung cancer are inadvertently discovered to have the illness by their doctors during chest X-ray examinations. The following symptoms may occur as the disease progresses.
· Persistent cough
· Loss of appetite and weight loss
· Difficulty in breathing
· Recurrent pneumonia or bronchitis
· Persistent chest, shoulder, or back pain
· Hoarseness caused by cancer cells pressing on the vocal cords
· Swelling of the neck and face
Depending on the severity, type, size and location of the lung cancer , the patient will be offered different treatment methods: